Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:08:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
To:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, alepulver@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kldload: can't load /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko: Exec format error & fusefs-ntfs-1.253

--- On Wed, 12/3/08, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com> wrote:
From: Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To: dino_vliet@yahoo.com
Cc: alepulver@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 12:17 PM

On 12/3/08, Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi people,
>
>  I can't use my maxtor basic 640gb external harddrive on Freebsd amd64
running 7.0 because when I try to load fusefs with this command, kldload
/usr/local/modules/fuse.ko I get the following error:

>  kldload: can't load /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko: Exec format error
>
>  Adding fusefs_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf and
fuse_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf and rebooting doesn't help
either, because then that error message is printed on the console.

>  uname -a gives:
>  FreeBSD zouk.telfort.nl 7.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p6 #1: Thu Nov
27 13:42:17 CET 2008     rgilaard@zouk.telfort.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64

>  pkg_info | grep fuse gives:
>
>  fusefs-kmod-0.3.9.p1.20080208_4 Kernel module for fuse
>  fusefs-libs-2.7.3   FUSE allows filesystem implementation in userspace
>  fusefs-ntfs-1.2531  Mount NTFS partitions (read/write) and disk images
>
>  Does anyone have a clue as to what is causing this behavior?

How did you install the fusefs-kmod was it from a package or did you
build it through the ports system?

The most likely cause of this error is due to the fuse.ko module was
not built against the same source as your kernel.  Rebuild fusefs-kmod
and that should resolve the problem.

Scot

Hi Scot,

I installed it from ports. I think as a dependency on fusefs-ntfs?
I will rebuild my system as I upgraded lately from 6.3 to 7, but
I'm sure I just followed the handbook and did everything allright.
Will post the results when I try this again afterwards.

Brgds
Dino