Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 2010 07:17:41 -0700
From:      Jason <jhelfman@e-e.com>
To:        Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd-update issues

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 06:01:49PM +0100, Graeme Dargie thus spake:
>Hello All
>

>I have an issue with freebsd-update, I will back track a few steps to
>give you some background as to what I was doing prior to using
>freebsd-update.
>

>I have been trying to get half-life dedicated server working on one of
>my machines, seemed to install ok from games/linux-steam but on running
>it would crash then hang the machine.
>

>After a bit of digging about it was suggested that I needed to modify
>the kernel to have the CPU_ENABLE_SSE option it seemed to go through #
>make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL ok but then went belly up make
>installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL failed. I re-read the man page, and
>tried again today, for it to fail at the buildkernel stage saying
>CPU_ENABLE_SSE was not an valid option. So I thought ok I will just
>rebuild the generic kernel using the above steps. That worked fine,
>system rebooted and from what I can tell works as it should.
>Now on to the issue, doing freebsd-update fetch works ok, but the inital
>run of the freebsd-update install complained about lack of disk space,
>looking in to /boot there was a 230mb folder called GENERIC, I checked
>my other two machines and this was not present of either, so I moved the
>folder out of /boot and re-ran freebsd-update install now it complains
>that /boot/GENERIC is missing.
>I`ll freely confess to not knowing much about this kind of thing but to
>me it looks like freebsd-update thinks my kernel is /boot/GENERIC and
>not /boot/KERNEL

Your default is /boot/kernel, and you need to keep /boot/GENERIC in
place for freebsd-update to work. freebsd-update works off of knowing what
your running kernel is, and will continue to work on the GENERIC kernel.
If you run your own update server. Then you can update as many kernels
as you would like to support.

This issue won't fix your problem, though, as if the GENERIC kernel doesn't
have the option you are looking for, as soon as you 'fetch install' that
option will be gone if it isn't in the distributed GENERIC kernel.

Try and figure out how to get it into a CUSTOM kernel and have that under
/boot/kernel, and your /boot/GENERIC kernel will continue to update with
freebsd-update, as well as world.

I hope this helps.