Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:43:42 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Zhenhai Duan <duan@cs.umn.edu>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing NFS.

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 01:22:20PM -0500, Zhenhai Duan wrote:
> The followings are what I did:
>
> At the installation time, telling the hostname, domainname,
> defaultgateway, DNS server, ipaddress, net mask.
>
> edit /etc/rc.conf, add nfs_client_enable="YES" nfs_client_flags="-n -4"
>
> edit /etc/fstab to add in the mount systems and mount point (server side
> has been configured).
>

> At the server side, I say one message,
>
> svc: unknown version (3).
>
> Again, I can mount the NFS system after I login as root. But it simply
> does not work at boot time.

You cannot use DNS to resolve hostnames used for NFS mounting in the
default FreeBSD setup. Mounting NFS filesystems takes place in /etc/rc
just after 'network_pass1,' but DNS is the first thing done in
'network_pass2.'

You need to enter any NFS servers in /etc/hosts if you want them to
mount at boot time. (If one works and one does not... wouldn't happen
the one that works is in /etc/hosts?)