Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 20:05:30 +0530
From:      Devdas Bhagat <devdas@worldgatein.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hd compression

On 08/01/02 09:10 -0500, unix wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2002 11:36, unix wrote:
> > I need suggestions on how to compress directories while enabling regular
> > programs to access files in the directories without special commands or
> > naming.
Under a unix system, the basic philosophy is that you combine a number
of little tools to do a large job.

> > I have a large amount (50 gigs) of data kept in text files that I need to
> > access through a java program.  I need to compress the files and have
> > access to the data without changing the java program.
Assuming that the files are zipped using gzip,
gunzip file.gz|program will work.

If your program can accept standard input, you solution is obvious. If
it cannot, then you have to modify the program.

Devdas Bhagat