Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 14:01:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ANNOUNCE: One-floppy FreBSD + rich networking

Hi!

I uploaded to ftp.freebsd.org a file containing one floppy FreeBSD, with
many networking utilities included. The main features are:

* basic filesystem utilities (mount_*, fsck, newfs), includeing ATAPI
CD-ROM support
* networking utilities: ppp, ifconfig, route, routed, netstat, ping,
traceroute, telnet, telnetd, inetd
* support for ed and de ethernet cards
* IP firewall support
* password protected user accounts
* NFS client
* and many, many more (over 60 programs total).

This version is different from the previous one in that it allows for
building a complete router-like solution, while the previous one was
intended primarily for dialup access. It does not contain SSH nor ftp
clients.

Addidtionaly, I've put there a set of scripts that highly automates
creation of such one-floppy setups. In fact, these are the very same
scripts I used to prepare the above mentioned version.

Please see the README included at the end of this message.

The files are:
	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/pb_n.zip
	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/pb_s.zip

The previous verision (intended for dialup access) is:
	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/pb_en.zip

Andrzej Bialecki

---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------
abial@warman.org.pl  | if(halt_per_mth > 0) { fetch("http://www.freebsd.org") }
Research & Academic  | "Be open-minded, but don't let your brains to fall out."
Network in Poland    | All of the above (and more) is just my personal opinion.
---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------

1998.01.20, Warsaw, Poland

What is PicoBSD version 'n'?
-----------------------------

It's a mutation of PicoBSD (i.e. one floppy FreeBSD) configured mainly for
networking applications. It can be used as a router or firewall, or
kind of a fixit floppy (or all of them).

What are minimal requirements?
------------------------------

* 386DX CPU or better (no FPU emulator, sorry)
* 12MB RAM - the more the better. If you have an HDD, you can make a
  swap partition or swap file (using vnode driver and vnconfig). Then you
  probably will be able to run with ca. 6MB only. But RAM is cheap...
* Modem sitting on COM1-COM4 (default is to use COM2), if you want to have
  a PPP connection.
* Network card: compatible with NE2000, or PCI cards with DEC chipsets
  (ed and de drivers). The kernel supports two of them (i.e. four total) plus
  two PPP connections (tun interfaces). So you can easily build something like
  router with as many as 6 outlets :-)

What is different from standard PicoBSD?

* More in-kernel drivers
* ATAPI CD-ROM support
* No ssh, ftp nor ee editor (which means you have to mount the floppy on
  normal system in order to edit config files)
* Added: inetd, telnetd, routed, ps, kill, netstat, ping, traceroute
* passwd(1) works (but only if you run it as root)
* Support for NFS client
* There are initially two users: root (password 'setup') and user (password
  'PicoBSD'). I had problems with correctly setting up permissions (as most
  of the programs are just one big file with hard links), so that several
  things which normal user can do here are impossible (no suid bit set). This
  means that normal user can do as much as telnet from the system....
* Added 'update' script which updates the contents of /etc directory on the
  startup floppy (in case you changed e.g. password).

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
!!!!!!!!!! BONUS FOR ALL PICOBSD FANS !!!!!!!!!!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

I think most of you will enjoy the pbsd-s.tgz file bundled with the floppy.
It contains all of the scripts (plus ash [a Shell]) needed to create your own
version of PicoBSD. These are exactly the same scripts I used.

So, if you don't like the version I prepared, or if you think I made a
wrong selection of the programs included, you can make your own version of
one-floppy FreeBSD.

The /scripts directory contains the kernel config file named PICOBSD-N.
You can edit it to suit your needs. Keep in mind, though, that the total space
on the floppy is VERY limited!

Next, you can look into the /crunch{1,2} directories and edit crunch.conf
files to suit your needs. The above remark concerning the space applies also
here - keep in mind that floppies are indeed very small creatures.. :-))

You will need a system with configured pseudo-device vn (consult the config
file of your running kernel), and with /mnt directory available. You'll also
need ca. 4MB of free space (not including the space needed to compile the
kernel, which is ca. 5MB).

Next, you go to the /scripts directory and run ./build script. If all is well,
after some time you end up having a file named /picobsd.flp, which you can
write on a floppy. That's all!

I'll be glad hearing from you about your experiences with PicoBSD. Thanks.

Have fun!

Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>

PS. Contrary to the previous version of PicoBSD (which contained ssh), this
version is fully under BSD license.