Date:      Fri, 13 May 2016 21:42:29 +0300
From:      Andrej Zverev <az@freebsd.org>
To:        Henk van Oers <henk.van.oers@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>, "perl@FreeBSD.org" <perl@freebsd.org>,  Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
Subject:   Re: p5-Net-3.08,1 fails to configure....

But if I use (and I think majority also) supported perl. In this case
why do I need tons of unneeded dependencies in FreeBSD ports tree for
that? All these patches for extra deps even not under check version's
condition..

IMHO, FreeBSD have very good balance for perl support. I'm not sure
about Perl 5.(8|10|12) support, but I think people still support it
because some popular distros bundled with it and will be for decades.
Currently maybe something is changed..

If you need support custom ports tree, that is supporter duty. For
FreeBSD for such cases you can easily use such trick instead of
patching and having pain with merge.

Inside /etc/make.conf you can but something like that for interested
port(s). Other methods also exists.
.if ${.CURDIR:N*/category/port} == ""
BUILD_DEPENDS+= p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker>=6.64:devel/p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker \
  p5-CPAN-Meta-Requirements>=2.121:devel/p5-CPAN-Meta-Requirements
.endif

After that inside port directory check make -VRUN_DEPENDS or
-VBUILD_DEPENDS and see that _DEPENDS are populated with your changes.