Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:42:48 +0300
From:      Vadim Kolontsov <vadim@tversu.ru>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel/syslogd hack

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 02:10:05PM +0100, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> I think we need to fix the interface here; forcing the client to 'give
> ID' is IMO bad for security (it is somewhat good for privacy,
> though...)

  Currently only client can initiate credentials transfer (using
sendmsg() and SCM_CRED). May be we can add a socket option (like
SO_LOCALCREDS); so server would be able to set it on the socket
and use recvmsg() instead of recvfrom().
  In uipc_send(kern/uipc_usrreq.c) we can check not only for SCM_CRED in
sender's msg_flags, but for SO_LOCALCREDS on target socket too.

  So SCM_CREDS scheme will become symmetrical. And usable for syslogd :)

Regards,
V.
--
Vadim Kolontsov