Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:59:27 -0900
From:      Beecher Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.com>, Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Subject:   Re: Accessing samba shares without password prompts

--nextPart2217639.98F6ZInKCq

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 04:08 pm, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> >Can someone point me to info on how to access shares on the netowrk
> >without having to provide the password. I am logged in to my FreeBSD 6.0
> >workstation with the user name and password equal to that of a user on
> >the other samba servers and Windows.
>
> IIUC and AFAIK, you can't.  Unlike windows, Unix does not store your
> password when you log in (just encrypts and compares to passwd file) so
> it cannot automatically provide credentials to samba.
>
> You can, however, get mount_smbfs to look in a file to find your
> password, so as long as that file is protected.  See man mount_smbfs
>
>      -N      Do not ask for a password.  At run time, mount_smbfs reads t=
he
>              ~/.nsmbrc file for additional configuration parameters and a
>              password.  If no password is found, mount_smbfs prompts for
> it.
>
> If you're going to do this you might want to use a different password
> for windows from BSD.  And make sure you protect the file, though any
> super-user will always be able to read it, if that is an issue.

Samba can be configured in security=3Dshared mode so users can access with =
no=20
password. You can also use this mode for a combination of no pass and=20
passwords for different levels of access. You also need to setup the guest=
=20
account in samba to use this mode.

You'll find docs and how-to's here:

http://us5.samba.org/samba/

Beech

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech@gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \=20