Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 07:27:10 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
To:        SHUDO Kazuyuki <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JITs for FreeBSD (was Re: somewhat new to java questions)

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, SHUDO Kazuyuki wrote:

> Peter van Heusden wrote:
>
> > So JITs don't seem to be a problem at the moment - its just a pity the
> > Java 1.2 HotSpot compiler looks like it will remain proprietary. The
> > concepts behind HotSpot seem very interesting.
>
> I understand that HotSpot is the name Sun calls some
> techniques. Adaptive compilation which is one of
> elements of HotSpot can be implemented by someone other
> than Sun. It may have been already implemented in JITs
> by Symantec or Microsoft.
>
> I don't know whether HotSpot includes some patents or not.
> It might include patents Sun bought from HP, I can't remember accurately.

Might do, but as far as I know, some of the HotSpot techniques are merely
extensions of what was already done in the Self programming environment
(http://self.smli.com, as I recall). Papers on Self, and the Self source
code, are freely available.

Peter
--
Peter van Heusden |    Its the 90's, and collective action is STILL cool!
pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za | Get active in your union today!