Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2011 01:25:09 -0700
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@crodrigues.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        kan@freebsd.org, rmacklem@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, alfred@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PXE Booting with an NFS root file system

Hi,

Thanks, I have incorporated most of your feedback and have updated the page=
:

http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/doc/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/n=
etwork-pxe-nfs.html

and patch:

http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/pxe/freebsd-pxe.txt

I originally thought about modifying the existing :
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-diskless.html
page, but decided to make a separate one, that could be easily hyperlinked =
to.
The network-diskless.html page is good, but I found that it has too
much general information on diskless
booting, and covers many topics, such as Etherboot.

Having a separate page dedicated to PXE + NFS root make the
information easier to find and hyperlink to is useful.
I hope to help people doing bringup/board work with FreeBSD, where
this kind of information is handy.

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc@crodrigues.org

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com> wrote=
:

> A lot of this document could point to other documentation, in particular:
>
> - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/boot.html
> - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.htmlC
> - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-inetd.html
> - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-dhcp.html
>
> 31.8.1:
>
> 5. Assuming that inetd.conf is vanilla, all you need to do is uncomment
> =A0 the line with '^#tftp' in it.
>
> 9. mergemaster does some magic that make distribution doesn't.
>
> 31.8.3:
>
> 1. isc-dhcp30-server is no longer available in ports / as a package. It
> =A0 should be isc-dhcp31-server, isc-dhcp41-server, or isc-dhcp42-server.
>
> 31.8.4:
>
> - Should suggest that users read loader(8).
>
> Thanks!
> -Garrett

--=20
Craig Rodrigues