Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 14:52:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Fatbob <fatbob@charon.gothic.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI NICs that use the DEC Tulip driver?

Help!

We've got a machine here that's running FreeBSD-2.1.0-RELEASE (yeah, I
know), and we need to put two NICs in it. Before you recommend I upgrade
or rebuild the kernel, here's the catch...

We didn't build the box - we need the software that's on it; it was
shipped running that version of FreeBSD; the only Ethernet driver in it is
the DEC 21040 Tulip driver. The NIC shipped with it is a DEC 21040. The
software itself loads from lkm's (I think, but can't say 100%) - it's for
A/V restripe, and we don't have the application's source code..

There is no kernel source on the machine; even if there was, I'm loath to
rebuild the kernel for an alternate NIC since that may hose the
application in unknown and horrid ways, and that's not an option - a
not-working NIC is less problematic than not-working software.

I've booted it with /kernel.GENERIC, but the software it's supposed to run
doesn't work with that kernel, although all the network drivers are
installed.

We could contact the vendor, but it will probably take them a while to get
us a new kernel with the appropriate drivers.

My question is ... can someone recommend PCI 10/100 NICs that use the DEC
Tulip driver (the 'de' interface), are still available, and will work with
the 21040 driver under FreeBSD-2.1.0? I'm not picky as to model (SMC,
Linksys, DEC, etc.) - I just need to find one that works.

thanks in advance (and a bit of desperation),
Klaus