Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:55:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dmitry_makovey@mail.com
Subject:   Re: Partitioning

On 27-Jun-00 Christoph Sold wrote:

> Dmitry Makovey wrote:
>>
>> Can I install FreeBSD on logical disk in extended partition?
> No. You need one DOS partition table entry, that is (in DOS parlance)
> partition 1-4. This translates to FreeBSD slice 0-3.
>
>> I have Linux & Win95 installed, and wanna try FreeBSD (as an
>> alternative OS for Linux)
>> So I have (in Linux terms):
>> /dev/hda1 - windows
>> /dev/hda2 - ext. partition
>
> /dev/hda3 seems to be available. Swap and all the other stuff will be
> maintained inside the DOS partition 3. Unfortunately, some
> repartitioning will be needed: FreeBSD wants its root partition to fit
> completely into the very first GB of your boot disk.

Actually, current can now boot from anywhere, and I'll probably be able
to MFC this to 4.1, although I won't be able to MFC the new boot0 to 4.1,
so you'll need to use some other boot manager that understands EDD LBA mode.

However, I suspect that his extended partition takes up all the rest of
his disk, and slices 5,6,7, and 8 actually fit inside of the extended
partition as it were.  You could move hda8 to hda6, then use partition magic
or some such to mark hda8 as unused, adn then shrink the extended partition
down so that the space used by hda8 is now free at the top level.  You
can then create a hda3 for BSD.

These simple drawings might help.  The first is what you have now, the
second is what you'd need to put BSD on the disk. (not to scale)

|  Entire Drive                                                         |
| MBR |  hda1       |  hda2                                             |
                    |  hda5      |  hda6      |  hda7       |  hda8     |

|  Entire Drive                                                         |
| MBR |  hda1       |  hda2                                 |  hda3     |
                    |  hda5      |  hda6      |  hda7       |

> Alternatively, you may install FreeBSD onto a second disc.

This is probably your easiest solution.