Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 1995 18:13:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        dgy@rtd.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs??? (lack of concensus)

> > Jordan, so quick to say no.  The answer is dependent on the drives, how
> > close you are running to the capacity of the supply, etc.  Most enclosures
> > have wimpy power supplies, this is a problem  :-(
>
> Yes, but I never use enclosures with wimpy power supplies (you should
> see the one in wcarchive!) so such power sequencing isn't necessary.

Yes, but people who don't know what we know don't know better.  And it's
HARD to find good enclosures.  When I wanted a 3.5" drive array that could
hold a dozen 1" disks on three SCSI busses in a space-efficient yet
well-cooled manner, I went and built one in the shop, out of a bunch of
angle irons  :-)  Cool design, and fits in 15"x8"x18"....  dual 230W power
supplies and a bunch of SCSI cable, and it's a very workable solution to the
"cool storage problem".  Much cheaper than a commercial solution that
wouldn't provide adequate cooling or power  ;-)

> Yes, you could argue that people jamming multiple drives into PC
> enclosures with wimpy power supplies will suffer, but then I'd never
> suggest that people do so, either!  If you're going to start using
> lots of drives, get them their own home and their own nice little PS!

I couldn't agree more.  I have four power supplies powering two drive arrays
on news.sol.net, and another one running the box itself.  Much prefer
overkill than underkill.  A PC supply is only $40 for a decent one!

... Joe