Date:      Wed, 12 May 2004 14:51:29 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping FreeBSD up-to-date

Omar,

> What is the most automated way to keep the FreeBSD base up-to-date?

Like many FreeBSD users, I've scripted the standard update process (cvsup,
make buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld).

I periodically run update_fbsd[1] to make a freshly updated build ready to
install, then when I want to install I run install_fbsd, mergemaster and
reboot. Note that I don't strictly follow the proper procedure of
installing and booting a new kernel before installing a new world.

The manual part - shutdown now; install_fbsd; mergemaster; reboot - takes
a few minutes on my creaky old PC[3], which is not bad for an OS
installation.

Updated ports (which update_fbsd does too) are usually all handled by a
simple "portupgrade --all".

[1] http://halplant.com:88/software/FreeBSD/scripts/update_fbsd
[2] http://halplant.com:88/software/FreeBSD/scripts/install_fbsd
[3] http://halplant.com:88/systems.html

-Andrew-
| -Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines@halplant.com  |
| "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary |
|  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin, 1759 |