Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:02:08 +0300
From:      Edvard Fagerholm <desti@sigtrap.com>
To:        Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting programs automatically during boot on a virtual terminal

Hello!

I actually did this. I created a binary called getty.alt that executed
login.alt and used it on ttyv0. I think that approach should work.
Another problem is that I can't compile anything on this box (~140MB
hdd), so I compiled it on another. This binary however dumps core. I
didn't have time to look at it further (as I went home), but I'll take a
look at it tomorrow.

Anyways I thought there was a better solution that wouldn't require me
to tinker with the source as it can be done on many other systems by
just editing a few configuration files. I already had to do some source
hacking to get a few things working on it and I'd like to keep it as
standard as possible as it is used at a student club at the university
where I'm studying and usually fellow volunteer admins like me tend to
disappear leaving a mess behind them, so something simple would be
better (actually the guy who built this system (the old version) in the
first place doesn't study here anymore, there's no documentation and the
old system running RedHat linux was even worse...).

Well, I'm not interested in documenting this stuff either in my spare
time, so in a few years someone else is going to get a similar mess to
play with :)

- edvard