Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:30:11 -0400
From:      Steel City Phantom <scphantm@yahoo.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remounting a drive

   tried
   mount -u rw /
   and
   mount -u rw /dev/ad1s1 /
   with the same result, no permission error
   next idea or did i get the command wrong
   Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Steel City Phantom [1]<scphantm@yahoo.com> writes:

ok, i had a working bsd system.

i shut it down, and removed a drive from it to use in another computer

i turn it on and i get mounting errors, nothing unsual, can't find drives

from the manualroot prompt i put in the path to the root partition to
the drive that is still in the machine

i boot to single user mode

im now trying to edit my fstab so i can boot normally (the drive
numbers moved from ad1 to ad0 because i removed a hardrive)

i can see all the files, i mounted my /usr partition, but for some
reason i can't remount the / parition to edit the fstab.  when i enter
the command mount -o rw / i get operation not permitted.  i tried
mount -o rw /dev/ad1s1 /  and mount -o rw /dev/ad0s1 /and got the same
thing.  ive used this in the past and it works, i don't know why its
not working now.  any ideas?

bsd 6.2 if it matters

when i do mount
/dev/ad1s1 on / (ufs, local, read-only)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad1s1f on /usr/ (ufs, local, soft-updates)

Try the "-u" (update) option.