Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2017 22:19:24 +0100
From:      Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs send -R | zfs recv aborted

On 18/07/2017 11:02, Derek (freebsd lists) wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  Sorry I wasn't clear - those options aren't
> available in 10.2 - and this is the upgrade path for this machine
> (i.e. migrate to a new one).
>
> Other thoughts still welcome.

I'm not 100% sure that datasets that appear to be good on a failed send
will be safe; I presume you've checked!

So your problem is that you need to free up broken dataset snapshots on
the receiver. I don't understand why this is a problem - why not just
"destroy" them?

You might want to consider a differential "send" (with a -I (capital i)
) option, which will send the snapshot plus all the missing intermediate
ones.

I've a dim idea that zxfer might be of some help here, but as you say,
the OpenZFS from 10.3 onwards has exactly the option you need.

Am I right in thinking these two machines are colocated? Why not just
export the pool on one and import on the other? (Lack of drive bays
being one obvious reason - just get a load of USB->SATA cables and a
hub). Just a thought.

Regards, Frank.