Date:      Thu, 26 May 2011 19:25:16 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@kfu.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: kern/153804: boot from zfs kernel.old recovery undocumented/impossible

on 26/05/2011 19:14 Nick Sayer said the following:
> 1. Man pages are not helpful when the system will not boot.

Yeah, if you have only a single system.  Non-hardcopy Handbook/Wiki/etc won't help
you either.

> 2. The page in question does not mention the correct type argument for the
> zpool.cache (nor that the type is not material). Not that it necessarily
> should, but in either case, loader(8) is not sufficient.

Why should it?

> 3. Perhaps it would be particularly helpful to print some kind of message as to
> WHY the system failed to mount root - that the zpool.cache file wasn't loaded.
> That message would be good google fodder to help folks with unbootable systems
> get back up and running.

That's a good idea.

> All I know is that I have been without an answer as to how to recover between
> January and a few days ago. That suggests to me the existence of a
> documentation gap.

Perhaps.  It also shows that you have not been researching and/or asking actively
enough.  If you provide reasonable patches to FreeBSD documentation they will be
welcome.  You can also blog/etc about your experience, so that other people could
pick your knowledge via search engines.

--
Andriy Gapon