Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:49:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Brock Tellier <btellier@usa.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: [btellier@USA.NET: Several FreeBSD-3.3 vulnerabilities] ]

On 1 Dec 1999, Brock Tellier wrote:

> Personally, I don't think it is at all unreasonable to do a full 2700 port
> install via sysinstall and audit the 200 or so suid-programs.  Sure, it's
> important that the others be free from symlink problems and in a few cases,
> buffer overflows, but focusing, as I did, on the suids wouldn't be
> ridiculously difficult.  More than 50% of these programs could safely lose
> their suid-bit. Considering the number of people who will actually need
> "xmindpath" suid vs. the number of people who just do a full install because
> they don't want to miss anything, I'd say you're pretty safe.

This is a legitimate point, and I hope this is something the newly-formed
FreeBSD auditing project will be able to handle. Given your proven
expertise in finding these problems (e.g. the demolition job you did on
SCO :), perhaps you'd like to be a part of that effort - just subscribe to
audit@freebsd.org and announce yourself. I for one would welcome your
assistance.

Kris