Date:      Tue, 10 May 2005 23:19:31 -0400
From:      jason henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/i386 lockups with Xorg & Radeon cards

Sean Davis wrote:

>Hello, first let me enumerate the hardware I've seen this happen on:
>
>1) Athlon XP 2700+
>   1GB DDR333
>   ATI Radeon 9200 AGP8X w/ 128MB
>
>2) Athlon XP 2200+
>   1GB DDR333
>   ATI Radeon 7000 AGP4X w/ 32MB
>   ATI Radeon 7500 PCI w/ 32MB
>
>3) Athlon XP 2200+
>   1GB DDR333
>   NVidia GeForce4 AGP8X (I think) w/ 32MB
>   ATI Radeon 7500 PCI w/ 32MB RAM
>
>On machine #2 (which is also machine #3), I'm trying to do a dual-head setup.
>Currently the primary video card is an AGP Geforce4. But that doesn't seem
>to matter.
>
>On all of these setups (9200, 7000, 7500) xorgcfg hardlocks the machine. No
>matter what I do.
>
>Xorg works just fine in Linux on the same hardware. (but no dual-head, despite
>config hacking, however that is a discussion for elsewhere)
>
>XFree86 4.5.0 under NetBSD works just fine with every Radeon on this list.
>
>Hence, I'm left to conclude that it's a combination of Xorg and FreeBSD -
>Windows works, NetBSD works, Linux works. I've tried both 5.3-RELEASE and
>5.4-RELEASE, both of them die just as well.
>
>I *REALLY* want to get rid of windows on machine #2/#3, but it's simply not
>an option without a usable dual-headed desktop setup, as that is my work
>machine. However, if I can't even get xorgcfg to run without the machine
>needing a three finger salute, it's simply out of the question. I can't run
>NetBSD or OpenBSD on it, because I need something that I can deploy quickly,
>with up-to-date binary packages, something that neither NetBSD nor OpenBSD
>provide.
>
>Does anyone have any insights to this problem? Please respond directly, I am
>not subscribed to either freebsd-ia32 or freebsd-questions.
>
>TIA,
>-Sean

Do you have an nforce chipset on the motherboard?  I do and I have never
had any version of x to work with dri on a radeon.  So disable dri if it
is on and try again.

Also are you getting any error messages?  You can check /var/run for the
x logs from the last running of x.

Does x lock after the startx command, or randomly later on while you are
using x?