Date:      Mon, 24 May 2004 21:40:27 +0300
From:      "Nikolay Denev" <nike_d@cytexbg.com>
To:        "Arne Schwabe" <arne@rfc2549.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very strange behavior of the special keys on a IBM T40

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arne Schwabe" <arne@rfc2549.org>
To: "Peter Schuller" <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
Cc: <acpi@freebsd.org>; <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 5:56 PM

> >> I have a extra ultra bay battery but I makes no difference. :/
> >>
> >> Could you send me your kernel config, maybe I have something weird in
> >> my config?
> >
> > Okay, I tried your kernel config but the same result brightness
> > up/down freezes the kernel.
> >
> > Without acpi the kernel freezes after something like 1-2 minutes :(
>
> Well, I "narrowed" it down, my notebook is now *real* crazy, even with
> a 5.2.1 kernel (which worked :/) it now shows this behavior.  I have
> now absoluty no idea what I could try next :/
>
> Arne
> --
> Ah, the beauty of OSS. Hundreds of volunteers worldwide volunteering
> their time inventing and implementing new exciting ways of old fashioned
wheels.

I've had exactly the same problem with my X31,
the solution that worked for me was to disable 'IDE2' with the 'PS' utility
that can be found on
IBM's site.(nasty DOS based, boot floppy image, that gives you advanced
options not available in the BIOS)
After this everything woks perfectly, i can turn up/down the volume and use
the keyboard light.

I hope that this info will help you.

--Niki