Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 15:28:06 -0500
From:      ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   To anyone out there running qmail and freebsd.

Hello to all once again.
I realize that qmail has a mailing list all to themselves, but I think
it better if I try and seek out some advice from a fellow freebsd user.
So far, I have had to taylor some of the qmail program instructions when
working with freebsd.  For example, the /etc/master.passwd file is far
different than it says in the INSTALL file.
I will explain what problem I have encountered, and so that I don't
clutter up the list, if anyone has any ideas, they are welcome to
contact me directly.
I have setup all the qmail users and groups.  Qmail groups qmail and
nofiles are indeed recognized as vallid groups.
I next setup the qmail users, all seven of them.  I entered their names
in /etc/master.passwd giving them a shell of /usr/bin/true.  In the
INSTALL file, it says to give them shells of /bin/true, but someone on
this list told me that the correct syntax is /usr/bin/true.
Next, I ran the ./qmail-config program.  It collected the hostname
domain name, ETC, and wrote all the info to disk.
Next, I created aliases for root postmaster and mailer-daemon.  All
three alias files were where they should be in the alias's home
directory.
Next, I moved all mailboxes that were in /var/mail to ~user/Mailbox,
just as it says in the INSTALL file.
The problems started happening next.
I entered in the sring it says to enter to perform some pre-upgrade
tests.
The string was:
env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$"PATH \
qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail &
I was next given a PID number.  The docs next say to do a ps to look for
all the qmail daemons running.  Here is the problem, only one daemon is
running qmail-lspawn.  None of the other three daemons are running when
I do a ps -x to see all my processes.
I decided to go ahead and start the testing anyway.  All the local
message test go as they should, but nothing remotely works, IE, I can
not send to a remote host, and vice versa.
I checked syslog and qmail does give a running message, but further down
the file it returns errors that it is unable to find remote hosts.
I am running a freebsd 2.2.2 box that is connected via ethernet to the
internet.  Qmail is the only thing that is having trouble with remote
host location.  All other network applications such as lynx are working
smoothly.
So.  What could I possibley missing?
Has anyone else experienced this?
Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to include as much information as
I could, so that I could get to the bottom of this soon. :)
Thank you for any help and assistance.
Sometimes with so much to read faqs, little install documents, one can
get lost in the swarm of docs.  I hope I am just missing something
simple here.
Thanks.
Jeremy