Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 02:13:07 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building ports as a non priviledged user

> Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:04:29 +0930 (CST)
> From: tim peters <tim@lost.net.au>
>
> Someone else answered your question about building as non-root,
> so I'll just add this quote from http://www.irssi.org/?page=backdoor
>
>   How do I know if I'm affected?
>
> 	 [snip]
>          FreeBSD port isn't backdoored, as it used the .bz2 file
> 	 [snip
>
> So if you built from ports, this doesn't affect you.  Makes you
> wonder about other ports though, doesn't it?

Guess that goes to show how important it is to secure your CVS
mirrors. (and beware of disgruntled committers :-)

BTW I discovered an interesting utility in the ports collection,
something that searches for any ports/programs that are statically-
linked with the old/exploitable zlib code.

	/usr/ports/find-zlib

Only funny thing is it installs as find_zlib-1.9, instead of find-
zlib-1.9.

Maybe it's a trojan.  <g>

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium