Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 95 9:56:31 CDT
From:      Mike Heitmann <mike@hpanalog.mdc.com>
To:        raj@hpisrdq.cup.hp.com (Rick Jones)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dd instead of rawrite?

> Dear questions -
>
> Is it possible to use "dd" on a running FreeBSD system instead of
> rawrite on a DOS system to make the boot floppies? Should I target a
> specific partition of "fd?"
>
> thanks muchly,
>
> rick jones

Yes!  I use somthing like dd if=input_file_name of=/dev/rfd0a to make
floppy images.  Check the man page on dd for correct command syntax, it's
been a while since I've made any, but I know it works, and it's faster
than using rawrite.

examples:  dd if=boot_144.flp of=/dev/rfd0a
	   dd if=cpio.flp of=/dev/rfd0a

--
Mike Heitmann
Internet: mike@hpanalog.mdc.com