Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 19:40:57 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jeffrey Barber <jab@rock.anchorage.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org>, "'hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Slow Etherlink

>OK, If we can get past all the sarcasim bull shit! I realize that the =
>ping I showed for Linux seems to be slower than FreeBSD but the point is =
>that I have faster telnet response from Linux than I do FreeBSD. For the =
>more serious ppl who want to help. Let me rephrase my question: Why =
>would pinging and telneting to FreeBSD be slower than that of a Linux =
>box?

   I'm going to assume that there is a real problem (which can't be infered
from the data you provided). One of the common problems with the 3c509 is that
it is easy to misconfigure the irq and yet still have the card appear to sort
of work. The result is 0-1 _second_ round-trip times. Try pinging another host
on your ethernet, and if this is the case, then you have a irq mismatch or
conflict.

-DG

David Greenman