Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:38:43 +0200
From:      "Michael Ross" <gmx@ross.cx>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: 8.2 ->8.3 regression on disk writes

Am 16.07.2012, 15:34 Uhr, schrieb Steven Hartland
<killing@multiplay.co.uk>:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Ross" <gmx@ross.cx>

The machine has 2GB of RAM installed -- at least that's what the hoster
says and what the Debian system it comes with reports. Not a VM.

<expletive deleted>
I was mentally set for "disk trouble" and didn't even spot that,
neither did I spot the little gem above:
"WARNING: This architecture revision has known SMP hardware bugs which may
cause random instability"

Kernel source has this to say:

	/*
	 * Opteron Rev E shows a bug as in very rare occasions a read memory
	 * barrier is not performed as expected if it is followed by a
	 * non-atomic read-modify-write instruction.
	 * As long as that bug pops up very rarely (intensive machine usage
	 * on other operating systems generally generates one unexplainable
	 * crash any 2 months) and as long as a model specific fix would be
	 * impratical at this stage, print out a warning string if the broken
	 * model and family are identified.
	 */

"Very rare" "random instability", read: Crappy hardware.
Plus, after about 1 week of running tests with 8.2, 8.3, 9.0 and 9-STABLE
kernels I managed to provoke the problem on 8.2 as well, so I'm
embarrassed now for calling regression where there is none.

Short, I'm giving up on this machine;
thanks for the help, sorry for the noise,

Michael