Date:      26 Jan 2000 12:49:25 -0600
From:      Soren Dayton <dayton@overx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two problems on upgrade from 3.2 to 3.4

Hi,

I just upgraded from 3.2 to 3.4 by cvsupping all the source and doing
a make world (vanilla with the exception of NO_SENDMAIL.  So basically
vanilla with respect to these questions).  I have encountered two
problems:

1.  When I use the java/jdk port, I SPORADICALLY get lots of these:

        ld-elf.so.1: assert failed: /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/lockdflt.c:55

    When I examine the produced core-file it turns out that java ends
    up blowing its stack (about 4500 frames deep) calling the function
    here (the function tries to acquire a lock on something or other).

    Has this seen before.

2.  My tape drive is no longer noticed.  I have done a MAKEDEV all. In
    particular,

        mecca# mt stat
        mt: /dev/nrsa0: Device not configured

    But the kernel is the same kernel as before (modulo upgraded to
    3.4, but same configuration file) and dmesg reports that the
    device is found:

        sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
        sa0: <HP C1537A L708> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
        sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 32)

    And the devices appear to be in order:

	mecca# ls -al /dev/*sa0*
	crw-rw----  2 root  operator   14,   2 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/ersa0
	crw-rw----  2 root  operator   14,   2 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/ersa0.0
	crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,   6 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/ersa0.1
	crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,  10 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/ersa0.2
	crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,  14 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/ersa0.3
	crw-rw----  2 root  operator   14,   1 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/nrsa0
	crw-rw----  2 root  operator   14,   1 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/nrsa0.0
	crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,   5 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/nrsa0.1
	crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,   9 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/nrsa0.2
	crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,  13 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/nrsa0.3
	crw-rw----  2 root  operator   14,   0 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/rsa0
	crw-rw----  2 root  operator   14,   0 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/rsa0.0
	crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,   4 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/rsa0.1
	crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,   8 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/rsa0.2
	crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,  12 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/rsa0.3
	crw-rw----  1 root  wheel      14, 0x20000000 Jan 23 18:26 /dev/rsa0.ctl

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these two issues?  Thanks
for any help. I'm concerned because I can't back up 20+ development
machines right nwo.

Soren