Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 06:48:28 +1100 (EDT)
From:      "Phillip" <phile@phile.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail

I don't know what version of sendmail you are using, but the following comments
refer to building V 8.9.3 from source.

>sendmail presently does not allow me to sent out email. The problem appears
>to be the sender's email is: user@hostname.ISP.co.uk, when it should be
>user@ISP.co.uk. I realise that this problem is a result of my using a dialup
>PPP link.
This may not be the solution, but have a look at the "Dj" line in /etc/sendmail.cf
and see if that will simply do what you want.

>Now all I have to do is recreate my /etc/sendmail.cf as per the FAQ
>instructions (sections 8.18 and 8.19). According to these instructions once
>I create my file foo.mc in the duirectory: /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf,
>I am then supposed to do a "make foo.mc". So m4 converts foo.mc to a foo.cf
>(so as to later replace /etc/sendmail.cf). Now here lies the problem.

I don't think thats the correct syntax - try:
    m4 /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 foo.mc > foo.cf
Check the resulting foo.cf file and then copy it as sendmail.cf to /etc

PS. It doesn't hurt to spend a litlle while at sendmail.org, especially
at http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html and check out the
introduction and example.

Cheers