Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 13:34:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 zp/tcp fuckups.

I had similar problems with zp under both 2.2.x and 3.x.  I eventually
switched to the ep driver with the pccard support.  I no longer suffer
from my ethernet device going down and having to be re-up'd; however, I
now suffer from the pccard driver.  Things are fine until I suspend --
then, sometimes, it is unable to allocate the driver again resulting in an
inability to network at all.  If I have two ep lines in the kernel config,
then it allocates the second (ep1) at that point instead.  This causes
many problems if I have two 3com cards in the machine (which is a case the
current pccard does not handle well at all).

On the other hand, I do not have neither the time to fix this, nor the
time to gain the expertise to fix this. :)

Robert Watson

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Darren Reed wrote:

> okay, a few of you will remember by griping about tcp performance
> on a laptop with the 3c589d card.
>
> well, now I get to experience it all again.
>
> right now I have:
> * a box which can't ping, error message:
> 	ping:sendto:No buffer space available
> * can't be pinged
> * froze during an ftp
> * has two non-closed tcp connections, one with a Send-Q of 17520 (CLOSING)
>   and the other has a Send-Q of 106 (LAST_ACK)
>
> * netstat -m tells me I have 112 mbufs in use, 34k of which is allocated to
>   network (94%), 64 are for data, 45 for headers, 2 for pcb's, 1 for
>   socket names/addresses and 9/10 mbuf clusers in use.  It also says there
>   have been no denials or delays and 0 calls to the drain routines.
>
> As far as networking is concerned, the box is fucked.  The only hope I have
> (and what I am doing) to make it work is to reboot.
>
> After the reboot...
> Attempting to ftp to it from solaris resulted in this:
>
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'p1' (100663296 bytes).
> netin: Connection reset by peer
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
> Lost connection
> No control connection for command: Error 0
> No control connection for command: Error 0
> ftp>
>
> (no, I didn't hit ^C or run anything else, just let it "happen").
>
> if I run "tcpdump -p" on a screen, it seems work okay.
>
> btw, I'm quite prepared to blame the zp driver - it fails to properly
> detect the device when I boot up FreeBSD after running Windows 95.
> Requires a cold boot to make the card detectable (to FreeBSD) again.

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/