Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 04:33:32 +0200
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net>
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scripting languages (was: Re: Package system flaws?)

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 05:16:59PM +0100, Mark Valentine wrote:
> > On Wed 24 Jul, 2002, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
[snip]
> > well, I have a very low knowledge about zsh, but it has many features
> > (maybe too much, IMHO) such as associative arrays and builtin dynamic
>
> Yes, it seems to have come a long way since I last looked at it years ago.
>
> I've installed it and I'm wading through the documentation.

good luck :)

> It seems to have the features we need, and the license, but I'm not sure
> if there could ever be agreement to get it in the base system, probably
> because it's another moving target - base system utilities generally want
> to to be small and stable.

also, I guess it take even more room than sh or pdksh.

> Yes, it's a pity.  Though I don't think I'd ever use ksh as an interactive
> shell (my fingers have absolute requirements on command history and
[snip]

let's try this one :

	http://clefevre.freesurf.fr/pdksh-1.tgz

then

	bind '^?'=eot-or-delete
	bind '^[^?'=delete-word-forward
	bind '^i'=complete-list
	bind '^v'=quote
	bind '^[O'=prefix-2
	bind '^XA'=up-history
	bind '^XB'=down-history
	bind '^XC'=forward-char
	bind '^XD'=backward-char
	bind '^XH'=beginning-of-line
	bind '^XF'=end-of-line
	bind '^X1~'=beginning-of-line
	bind '^X2~'=yank
	bind '^X4~'=end-of-line
	bind '^X5~'=up-history
	bind '^X6~'=down-history

and everything should be all right :)

it's a ready to import :) merge of OpenBSD pdksh (the one they use as
the base system sh/ksh) and the official pdksh distrib.

OpenBSD add-on is a better completion handling than the original one.
I've submitted patches to the official maintainer. don't know if it
take them or not.

I use it since late May w/o any problem. I'm still waiting a lot
before to submit a PR...

PS : take care, the archive contains CVS directories related to OpenBSD.
also, don't forget to make `patch < bin/ksh.patch'.

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net