Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 00:00:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrew Prewett <andrew@kronos.HomeUnix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Older versions

Today Nathan Kinkade wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:30:57PM -0700, lattera@softhome.net wrote:
> > I have a VERY, VERY old laptop (1.9 Megs of memory IBM), and I was
> > wondering if I could get FreeBSD 1 for it. If so, where? Thanks!
> >
> > lattera

> What type of processor does it have?  1.9MB of RAM is not very much.
> Even PicoBSD, the single floppy version of FreeBSD, would like to have
> 8MB of memory.  I have serious doubts that you will be able to get
> virtually anything to run in 1.9MB of memory.  I could be wrong, and if
> someone knows of a tiny OS that will run under these conditions I'd be
> curious to know about it.  I have recently been looking around at some
> tiny Linux installations, but even those absolutely require at least 4MB
> of memory.

minix?

from the minix install.txt:
1. REQUIREMENTS
   The minimum system MINIX can be installed on comfortably  is
   an  IBM PC/AT or PS/2 with a 286 processor, 640 KB memory, a
   720 kb diskette drive, and 25-30 MB free  space  on  an  AT,
   ESDI, or SCSI hard disk (the latter controlled by an Adaptec
   1540.)  MINIX for the  386  (MINIX-386  for  short)  can  be
   installed on a machine with at least a 386sx processor, 3 MB
   memory and at least 25-30 MB of disk space.

	-andrew