Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:35:37 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Mike <list@mail15.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dynamic Router IP.

Mike wrote:

>>that it's his dsl router that gets the dynamic ip address, not the
>>freebsd box. Presumably, the router has a static 192.168.1.x address
>>facing the LAN and the freebsd box uses this as its gateway. I doubt
>>

>you
>

>>can install a daemon on the router.
>>

>The deamon has ways to find out its external ip, so don't worry about
>installing the daemon on the router :)
>
>Mike

It does? How? The daemon will be running on the Freebsd machine, which
does not have the external ip address. I use dynamic dns services here
and there but so far as I know they all require a daemon running on the
machine which actually has the relevant dynamic address.

This is drifting slightly off-topic, but I'm interested to know.

PWR.