Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 00:25:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940

[Trimmed cc: back to freebsd-hardware]
> >>Stefan:
> >> This makes me wonder (again), whether I really should spend $1000
> >> on the necessary hardware, and time worth some $10000 or more (if I
> >> spent it on paid work) just to allow other people to use the latest
> >> 53c8xx variants (Ultra-WIDE), who then complain about a NCR driver
> >> bug, whenever some VM system tuning introduces temporal instability :)
> >
> >Rod:
> >Don't make me laugh... I've probably invested well into the 6 digits
> >of time and money into FreeBSD in one way or another.  I am sure David,
> >John, Jordan, Poul, Julian, and a fist full of others are in the same
> >situation.
>
> I'd like to jump in here.
>
> I know Rod and I know Stefan too.
>
> You guys are like made to misunderstand each other!

Upon reflection of history I can agree with that statement.

> We all know that the relationship between the resources a person
> can muster for FreeBSD in terms of HW and $$$ has nothing to do
> with the value of that contributor to the project.
>
> Several people have proved that point many times over, Stefan is
> one of them.

Agreed.

> $1000 may not sound like much to Rod, but to a lot of people that
> would be all of one years budget for computer-hw, in many cases
> probably even more than that.

$1,000 is a $1,000 to me or anyone else, but your probably right in
that I don't look at that as a whole lot of hardware.

> I really wish we could get some people to donate money, so that
> we could help productive but HW-challenged people like Stefan.

AAC would be willing to help in this area, if, and this is a big
if, it had tax advantages for it to do so.  Ie, a 501(c)3 FreeBSD
Project, Inc. could expect to receive some place between $1,000 and
$5,000/year in cash from AAC, along with the heaviest discouting
I can do on hardware purchases (cost + shipping + overhead of a few
percent).

If you have doubts about that the 2H/1995, 1H/1996 dicounts taken by
FreeBSD core team members is in excess of $1,000, which is the best
way I currently have of ``donating'' money to the project without
it adversely affecting my bottom line Profit & Loss statements.

> The confusing thing here is the smiley after Stefans complaint.
> If I read it right, its that feeling of "the world is an unjust
> place, but heck, it's still better than the alternative".

I'm still tring to figure the smiley out :-(.