Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:43:45 -0500
From:      Ben Kelly <ben@wanderview.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   dummynet log messages after recent update

Hello,

I recently upgraded my firewall from a soekris net4501 to a net5501.  As =
part of this process I update my freebsd sources to CURRENT as of =
11/13/2009 1300 GMT.  Once the new box was up and running I noticed some =
odd output in the logs:

  Nov 13 18:30:19 gate kernel: dummynet: OUCH! pipe should have been =
idle!
  Nov 13 18:30:34 gate last message repeated 15 times

My dummynet configuration looks like this:

  fw=3D'/sbin/ipfw -q'

  $fw pipe 10 config bw 950Kbit/s
  $fw queue 10 config pipe 10 weight 100
  $fw queue 20 config pipe 10 weight 1

  $fw add 6100 queue 10 tcp from any to any tcpflags ack iplen 0-80 out =
via $oif
  $fw add 6110 queue 10 udp from any to any iplen 0-80 out via $oif
  $fw add 6120 queue 20 tcp from any to any \{ not tcpflags ack or not =
iplen 0-80 \} out via $oif
  $fw add 6130 queue 20 udp from any to any not iplen 0-80 out via $oif

I am running SCHED_4BSD with a HZ of 1000.  Otherwise the kernel is =
mostly a stripped down version of GENERIC.  I can post the full config =
if it would be relevant.

I was previously running a HZ of 250, but I increased it to 1000 to see =
if that was causing the problem.  It did reduce the number of OUCH =
messages, but did not get rid of them completely.

Does anyone know what could cause these messages?  Should I be =
concerned?  As far as I can tell the network is working fine in spite of =
the log output.

Thanks.

- Ben=