Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2014 09:15:37 +0000
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
Cc:        powerpc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tightening kernel for Mac Mini G4

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 09:46:22PM -0800, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> ADB is unnecessary, as is cuda.  PMU isn't strictly necessary, but I'm
> in the process of adding more capabilities to our PMU driver, so you
> may want to keep it, but it's not required for operation.

Hmm, I guess I indeed better keep it: without it I have this liin in dmesg:

  warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set
  accurately

Also, in the Misc. section, "device iicbus" actually required for snd_ai2s.
Not sure about "device kiic": it seems that Keywest I2C controller is fine
with just iicbus:

  iichb0: <Keywest I2C controller> mem 0xf8001000-0xf8001fff irq 42 on unin0
  iicbus0: <OFW I2C bus> on iichb0
  iicbus0: <unknown card> at addr 0x1c0

I haven't looked into what is this strange "unknown card" yet, but adding
or removing "device kiic" from kernel config does not change dmesg output.
Source code for /sys/powerpc/powermac/kiic.c says it's some support routines
for the controller; not sure if I need them on G4 or not.  Is support for
Keywest I2C controller is incomplete without kiic?  Thanks,

./danfe