Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:37:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Gregory Lewis <glewis@dartagnan.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   burning a cd

Hi all,

I've followed the recent threads on cdrom burning and decided to give it
a go myself.  I'm using the /usr/share/examples/atapi/burndata script with
acd0c as the device and an image I've verified as being an iso image by
mounting it using the vn driver.  However, I get these messages during the
dd stage:

dd: /dev/racd0c: end of device
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.015152 secs (0 bytes/sec)

and nothing gets written to the cd (I assume this is why it complains while
trying to fixate the cd at the end).

Anyone got any ideas on this?  I'm running 3.1-S but have fixed the
rezero problem by using /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/atapi-cd.c from 3.2-S (I had
the same problem with dd even while I had the rezero problem).

The dmesg information for the drive (a Sony CDU928E, which is the secondary
master) is
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <CD-R   CDU928E/1.1m>, removable, accel, dma, iordis
acd0: drive speed 1378KB/sec, 384KB cache
acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-DA, packet track
acd0: supported write types: CD-R, test write
acd0: Audio: play, 256 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable caddy
acd0: Medium: no/blank disc inside, unlocked

Is it potentially a problem that the cdrom drive is secondary rather than
primary master (there is no primary master, all the other devices are
SCSI)?

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237