Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:01:32 +0100
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@FreeBSD.org>, Paolo Pisati <piso@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 111230 for review

Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 01:20:26PM +0100, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> A> Gleb Smirnoff wrote:

> A> >Paolo,
> A> >
> A> >this isn't a fix. Another application will do write(,, 16k + 1) and
> A> >m_jumbo16pullup() will fail again. Please backout it, it is a hack.
> A> >
> A> >We need to fix TSO in such way that real packets, that will be
> A> >transmitted to wire, will be passed to pfil handlers.
> A>
> A> That is not possible.
>
> ATM this should be at least documented behavior. And a solution should
> be thought, because pfil must see real packets, not their precursors.

I fully agree about the documentation.  Fixing TSO pass 'packets' to pfil
is not possible as that equals disabling TSO in the first place. The user
has to chose what he needs more, pfil correctly counting packet, or the
performance benefits of TSO.  Can't have both at the same time.  On routers
and firewalls TSO is not much of an issues.

--
Andre