Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:31:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetApp NFS & FreeBSD

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Alan Judge wrote:

> Further to the comments on performance of NFS.  I did a quick test of
> the client performance, offering a single data point.  We haven't had
> any noticeable performance problems with the FreeBSD boxes, unlike
> some others I could name.

Great! the quick test method definately provides some useful information.

> Otherwise idle PIII box running 3.3-STABLE, switched 100Mb connection,
> 16 nfsiod; server Netapp F740 NOT IDLE, switched GB connection.
> iozone on a 1GB file shows a sequential write speed of around 9500KB/s
> and a sequential read speed of 10500KB/s.

Wow, 80Mbps (assuming b=bit, B=byte convention). I really like to see how
this compares in terms of aggregate speed for 50000 20KB files (same
amount of data) since we don't do a lot of 1GB file transfers :)  It would
be even more interesting to run the test in two ways, first the same file
to consider cacheing, and a second time with a slight file modification to
eliminate cache effects. I'd contribute this if we had a NetApp.

Jeffrey A. Lynch		| JORSM Internet, Regional Internet Services
email: jeff@jorsm.com		| 7 Area Codes in Chicagoland and NW Indiana
Voice: (219)322-2180		| 100Mbps+ Connectivity, 56K-DS3, V.90, ISDN
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com	| Quality Service, Affordable Prices
http://www.jorsm.com		| Serving Gov, Biz, Indivds Since 1995