Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 08:38:28 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From:      Ed Vander Bush <ed@42interactive.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MAKDEV not making devices

I have compiles sound support into my kernel

snip...
Aug  5 01:54:51 intrigue /kernel:
Aug  5 01:54:52 intrigue /kernel: NOTE! SB Pro support required with your
soundcard!
Aug  5 01:54:52 intrigue /kernel: snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
snip ...

And before I rebooted I did (as root)

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV snd0

it chugged for a moment and returned me to my prompt

Nothing reported

Yet the only dev under dev containing the string snd is sndstat

Why can't I make the device name?

Also I am compiling sb0 into my kernel as Sound Blaster Pro, Why does it
say it is required above?  Thanks!!!

Please CC me on your reply.

ED