Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:04:55 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network printing via a win2k domain?

Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 17), Kent Stewart said:

>>>Cheat, and print directly to the printer :)  Most support the lpd
>>>protocol.
>>
>>You have to have installed the simple unix services on the NT derivatives
>>server for this to work.
>
> Ricoh printers run NT now?  I mean print directly to the printer's IP
> address, not to the NT server that routes Windows workstation
> printjobs.

I agree that this is a good approach.  Keep in mind that you may have to
enable LPD printing on the printer itself (it might be disabled by default).

However, I've seen it cause problems with some printers, such as printer
lockups and corrupt printjobs (where it prints hundreds of pages, each with
a single character on it).  Apparently the printer's spooling capability is
easily confused.  The problem went away when I set up an lpd queue on a BSD
server, and forced all the clients to print through that.  My guess is that
the printer's spool got confused when it was recieving jobs from too many
different locations at once.

The moral is this: if your printer starts freaking out after you start
printing to the LPD spool, you may not be able to do that on that printer.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies