Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:07:40
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw/natd & ftp

I've read through the docs, but haven't been able to solve this seemingly
simple problem:

FBSD 4.4-STABLE box as gateway to internet (running ipfw/natd), serving 3
PC's, one running Win98SE, one running WinXP and one running NextStep 3.3

From FBSD box I can ftp from command line and download via browser
(Konquerer, Mozilla) without problem. From Win98SE/XP/NextStep I can browse
(http), but cannot ftp. I've tried both from command line and from browser
(and ftp app "Yftp" on Next). 98SE has IE 5.5, XP has 6.0, NS runs OmniWeb
2.2.

I though it was the problem I read about using "passive" transfers because
of the firewall (I can log into the ftp server, but cannot dir/ls or get or
anything else). However, when I open the firewall (add pass all from any to
any), it still doesn't work.  So I wonder if NAT might play a part in the
problem, and wonder what I should try next.

Regards,
Thor