Date:      Sun, 01 Nov 1998 11:59:50 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot flags

> > My boot.conf looks like:
> >
> > load kernel
> > autoboot 10
> >
> > so far (I'll add modules next), but what's the syntax in that file to
> > add boot flags?  I specifically (right now) want to add -v.  If this is
> > defined somewhere, a pointer there would be fine.
>
> And while the question is being asked.. is there a way with the new
> 3 stage boot loader to pass in a USERCONFIG configuration file?  I used to
> do this to configure some PNP peripherals.  I'm  guessing that this
> function will probably now happen in /boot/loader, but that code doesn't
> seem to be functional for this purpose yet.  I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

There isn't at this point in time.  Unless you're constantly cycling
kernels, the PnP information is saved into the booted kernel by dset,
so you only need to set it once.

Now that the kernel can receive arbitrary information passed in from
the loader, you'll do something like this:

 load -t userconfig_script /boot/userconfi.script

and userconfig will just run down the list of userconfig_script
objects, executing commands out of them.

I'll aim to get this done today.