Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:27:23 +0100
From:      Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>
To:        Ben <ben@cahostnet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BootMgr and Dual Boot?

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 08:20:34 -0500, Ben wrote:
> I just installed FreeBSD on my workstation after using Linux for
> couple of days.  During the install where it asks whether you want
> BootMgr or Standard I think I chose Standard.  I have W2K on the
> other partition so I will need to boot to that as well using BSD boot
> manager.  I haven't finished the install because I had to work today
> and it' s my home machine so I'll finish it tonight.  But if I did
> pick Standard which means I can only boot BSD, how can I fix this?  I
> will like to be able to boot both NT and BSD using BSD boot manager.
> At least that was my plan.  I installed 4.2-RELEASE and will be
> upgrading to 4.2-STABLE right after my install.

If you choosed "Standard" the partition marked "active" will be booted
(normally this is the FreeBSD partition, because the install-program marks
a created FreeBSD partition as active).

To boot W2K you can do:

	- mark the W2K partition active (but you can only boot W2K now)
	- install the BSD boot manager (see: man boot0cfg, normally
	  something like "boot0cfg -Bv /dev/ad0" does it)

Best regards
--
Udo Schweigert, Siemens AG   | Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
CT IC 3, Siemens CERT        | Fax        : +49 89 636 41166