Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:43:57 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, dirk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrtools doesn't build on -current

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 01:37:02AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:

> **Warning, rant**
> The ports collection is one of the crown jewels of FreeBSD.
> Unfortunately, even as more ports committers are added, more and
> more ports break or become harder to build.  On top of that,=20
> pkg_add has become close to worthless now that the -r feature
> is so fragile.  If 5.0 goes out and popular ports don't build,
> it will hurt the image of FreeBSD.  Please, take a break from
> adding new ports and/or maintaining your pet ports and fix some
> of the broken-ness.

IMO, the fault for this lies mostly with source committers who break
backwards-compatibility and then don't bother to clean up after their
changes (i.e. don't consider the impact of their changes beyond the
source tree).  I don't think ports committers have been responsible
for breaking about a thousand ports like source developers have over
the past year or so.

Having said that, we do badly need ports committers to work on fixing
broken ports for 5.0-RELEASE.

Kris

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q--