Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:52:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Hartong <hartong@erols.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CDRom Compatability

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Hartong wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> A quick question.  Some of the documentation on the Web pages state
> that the CDRom IDE Interface is only Alpha quality (aka it may or may
> not work :) ) and other locations make no mention of the CDRom IDE
> interface being experimental.
>
> I have a TEAC CD-56E IDE CD Rom installed in in my machine, and could
> substitue an NEC-46 IDE CDRom for the TEAC.  My questions are
>
>     1. Is the CDRom IDE driver "experimental" or "production" quality?
>     2. Has anyone reported any installation or operation problems with
> either a TEAC or NEC CDRom and Free BSD 2.2.6/3,0?

This 'experimental' comment has been on the website for a while. I
cannot speak for others, but I can say that I have absolutely ZERO
trouble with my Mitsumi IDE drive.

The most common problem anyone has with IDE drives (from my limited
experience on this list) is getting the jumper settings correct. It
seems that Windows finds a cdrom just fine with buggered up jumper
settings. Most folks ask a question like "My CDROM works fine in
windows..."

If you can handle jumpers, then you should have no trouble with your IDE
CDROM. (YMMV)

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html