Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:58:35 +0000
From:      Chris Hastie <lists@oak-wood.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Postfix port

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz> wrote:

> Chris Hastie wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I upgraded a 5.1 system to 5.4. I then cvsuped the ports tree and
>> rebuilt Postfix from mail/postfix.
>>
>> I am having problems with spawn and pipe. Spawn complains
>>
>> postfix/spawn[36315]: fatal: unknown user name: nobody
>>
>> Pipe complains
>>
>> postfix/pipe[38272]: fatal: invalid option: ?
>>
>> I've asked the question on the postfix-users list, and with respect
>> to the pipe
>> problem Wietse has responded:
>>
>> "> postfix/pipe[38272]: fatal: invalid option: ?
>>
>> You built Postfix with the GNU version of the getopt()
>> system routine. That version is not compatible with
>> the FreeBSD getopt() system routine.
>>

> It doesn't seem likely to me that this is the problem,
> unless one of a couple of things has occurred:  one
> would be that the port maintainer has written a broken
> Makefile or made some related error, and the other that
> FreeBSD's getopt() has changed in some way.  Neither
> of these seems too likely, either.
>
> However, systems do change, and it's a long, long way
> from 5.1 to 5.4.  Did you carefully read /usr/src/UPDATING?
> /usr/ports/UPDATING?

I did my best to read through /usr/src/UPDATING, but as you say, it's a long
long way from 5.1 to 5.4, so there's an awful lot to take in. I confess I
haven't looked at /usr/ports/UPDATING, but will.

> It might be wise to use "portupgrade -rR" or something
> similar to update PostFix, or, if this isn't a production box,
> uninstall and reinstall the port (though that seems too
> "Microsoftie" to me....)

Sounds like what I did. make. make deinstall. make reinstall.

The getopt thing doesn't seem to explain the problem with spawn, since it
reports the username it doesn't recognise in the error, suggesting that it did
at least understand the arguments passed.

--
Chris Hastie