Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:13:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru (Dmitrij Tejblum)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging win95 and nt filesystem changes into msdosfs

> > There's no one who currently "owns" MSDOSFS, that's why, and no one to
> > do the work of integrating changes from NetBSD or any other OS.  Any
> > volunteers?
>
> Me.

Please apply my nami/nameifree patches before attempting this.  If you
do not, the resulting created long file names will not be usable from
Windows95.  Specifically, 4DOS get a short name list, and then goes back
and requests the long names given the short names.  The previously
discussed short name generation algorithm will fail to result in names
that will work with this commonly used shareware shell.  The MKS tools
cwBourne shell does the same thing.

Also, note that because the implementation of the pathname buffer
representation is known to the FS's (the FS's must free the buffer
on behalf of the caller in the current implementation), you will not
be able to round-trip the Unicode via the pathname buffer.  As a
result, you will have to choose a specific locale to use to create
the file names.  The simplest of these will be the ISO 8859-1 locale,
since it maps into code page 0 of the Unicode standard.  Unfortunately,
this will mean that VFAT names created in a different locale will be
impossible to round-trip out to the user's current locale.  You will
also be unable to localize this support to a non-ISO 8859-1 using
country.  This is basically a result of your having to do the path
data converision to Unicode under the covers of namei instead of over
them, where you would have (putative) access to the user's environment.
This in turn is a result of the non-inheritance of path component
attributes across component lookups in the underlying FS.

It's nice to see people becoming interested in FS hacking, but care
should be taken: the framework in which you will be hacking is not
as orthogonal as it first appears.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---