Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 19:57:19 -0600
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        Edward Knight <efknight@bellsouth.net>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Some wierdness with my cloned disk

I'm not sure if you want to use tar, I don't think it follow links? Here's
what I used on a SCO system upgrade (and tested on my 3.x machine). This
doesn't store the first "/" so you can move stuff around easily...

find .  -print -depth | cpio -ocvB > /dev/fd0

cpio -itv < /dev/fd0 | more (So you can check the files, before you reboot,
restore)

cpio -icdumvB < /dev/fd0

Maybe it was a bad tape?

At 06:30 PM 12/1/99 +0000, Edward Knight wrote:
>Edward Knight wrote:
>
>> OK,
>>
>> I cloned my 2.5 gig Freebsd drive up to an 8.4 gig to allow for larger
>> filesystems.  It all went pretty much ok.  However, when I boot the new
>> drive immediately after the kernel loads, /stand/sysinstall starts.
>>
>> Can someone clue me in to whats going on?
>>
>> Ted Knight

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
>
>On doing some investigation, here's what I have found:
>
>cpio -pmduv  /newdisk < disk.cpio
>
>    is adding a ^@ to the begining of many files both executable and
>textt.
>    When using vi on text files I can see it, it is always the first
>character in the first line.
>
>    disk.cpio is created usinf:
>
>        find / -depth -print > /usr/tmp/disk.cpio
>
>    /newdisk has the following mountts
>    /dev/wd2a ->/newdisk
>    /dev/wd2e ->/newdisk/var
>    /dev/wd2f  ->/newdisk/usr
>
>    -> does not indicate a link.   It is intended to indicate the mount
>point.
>
>    wd2 is an 8.4 gig ide which with 3.2R loaded from the WC cdrom. and is
>the secondary master.
>
>    / is a 2.5 gig ide drive on the primary master
>    I'm copying from / to /newdisk.
>
>I am using 3.2R.  Is cpio flawed or have I done something wrong here?
>
>I'll try tar pclv | tar xpv on the filesystems of / tonight and see if
>tcopy goes better.
>
>It was my understanding that tar did not copy special files.  Is this
>still true?
>
>Ted knight

Jonathan E. Lyons   				FreeBSD!
parrothd@midwest.net 			CCNA, MCP, MCSE, A+ Certified