Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:20:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, jlemon@americantv.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: locking up

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Josh MacDonald wrote:

> > > I get this a lot. It always happens when I'm pressing the CAPS LOCK key
> > > at the same time as some other key. I HATE IT because I end up having to
> > > kill about 30 vi sessions, etc., etc...
> > >
> > > This is on 2.1.0-R with XFree86 S3 server.
> >
> > Does the gdb trick work to get you out?  Looks like this is a bug in
> > our console code then, and not the X server itself.
> >
> > > By the way, after killing the X server, you can find the "lost" character
> > > typed (the one that caused the hang) on the virtual console you started
> > > X from (eg, at the login prompt)...
> >
> > Yep!!!  Exact same symptoms here.  Oh Soooooooreeeeeen..  We have
> > another nice little bug for you! :-)
> >
> > 					Jordan
>
> Hey yeah me too, cause I use caps-lock for my control key.  Three or four
> times a day I'll have this happen.  I'm running XInside.

I remember seeing some comments in the pcvt source code that some laptop
keyboards can lose interrupts when updating the keyboard LEDs.  This seems
suspicious since most of the X keyboard lockups seem to involve the caps
lock key.

Maybe we should poll the keyboard sometimes just in case an interrupt has
been lost.  Calling scintr from a timeout 5 times a second would do the
trick I suppose.  Makes me feel slightly ill though.  There must be a
better way...

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761