Date:      Wed, 11 May 2005 17:24:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mike Jakubik" <mikej@rogers.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Marian Durkovic <md@bts.sk>
Subject:   Re: SOLVED: Degraded TCP performace on Intel PRO/1000

On Sat, May 7, 2005 12:37 am, Kris Kennaway said:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 08:59:50AM +0200, Marian Durkovic wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> seems we've found the problem. The performance degradation was
>> happening it the TX path, due to insufficient setting of TX packet
>> buffer FIFO on the chip.
>>
>> To achieve wirespeed performance, the TX FIFO must be large enough to
>> accomodate 2 jumbo packets (not just 1 as the driver was assuming). There
>> was also a typo in the driver, causing the PBA tuning on most cards to
>> be non-functional.
>>
>> Due to above limitation, the 82547 chipset (featuring only 40 KB of
>> RX/TX FIFO) only supports wirespeed tranfers upto 8 KB TCP payload
>> (MTU 9000 bytes).
>>

>> Please be sure to use em driver version 1.7.41 or newer, either from
>> the CVS (branch RELENG_4_11) or from Intel's downloads.
>
> Does this also apply to 5.x and above?  If no-one else responds in the
> next few days, can you please submit the patch in PR so it does not get
> lost?
>
> Kris

Any luck submitting the patch for this? I looked at Intels website, and
the latest drive for FreeBSD 4.7 is 1.7.35. Which is what is also used on
-CURRENT now. They also state "Development is no longer taking place on
this driver. For the latest development driver for FreeBSD* 5.3 or above,
please download em-2.0.5.a.tar.gz." However there is no link provided for
this driver. Am i just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks.